Argonne is seeking a transportation systems modeler to work on our high-performance transportation system simulation framework, Polaris, and improve the fleet and mobility systems models contained with it. The software is used for performing detailed simulations of large-scale regional transportation systems. The goals of such simulations is to analyze the potential impacts of future mobility technologies such as shared-autonomous vehicles operating in fleets, vehicle electrification, new freight delivery technologies and others. We seek to understand the potential impacts and radically improve the mobility and energy sustainability of transportation. Decision makers at the federal, state and regional levels rely on such simulation models to make decisions on investments and management strategies. The core algorithms of the model include shared fleet simulations, routing, traffic flow, freight demand estimation and simulating discrete choices travelers make regarding travel patterns and associated activities. The various algorithms are coded into the Polaris framework and used to simulate various scenarios.
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering, or a related field.
- Knowledge of engineering computation as applied to transportation system modeling (POLARIS), and planning.
- Knowledge in activity-based travel demand modeling and discrete choice or other decision process models.
- Knowledge in shared and autonomous vehicle fleet operations and modeling.
- Skills and experience in software programming (C++).
- Skills in decision making.
- Skills to roadmap from specific problems to general solutions.
- Skilled in the use of high-performance computer technology.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and coordinate detailed phases for projects of moderate scope.
- Skilled oral and written communication skills at all levels of the organization.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Long-Term (Fixed Term)
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.